Fruity and seedy biscuits

This is my new favourite way to use up the almond pulp which is produced when I make almond milk. (A couple of other ways here and here.) I take the pulp from 1 cup of almonds (which has been squeezed out well when I make the almond milk, but not dried out), put it into a food processor and add:

  • 3/4 cup self-raising flour,
  • 1/2 cup of dried fruit (I used a mixture of apricots, cranberries and sultanas for this batch: dates are also good),
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder,
  • pinch of salt.

Process this to mix the flour through and break up the fruit. I think it’s also OK if some of the almond pulp turns to almond butter, but you don’t want to turn the whole lot into a paste, so don’t overdo it: you still want some smallish chunks of fruit in there. The mixture should be a little moist and hold together if you press it. Then, transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in:

  • 1/4 cup rolled oats,
  • 1/4 cup mixed seeds (I use pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds),
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or canola oil,
  • a tablespoon (or more) of apple sauce, if the mixture needs help sticking together.

Mix well, then press together into a big ball. From this, rip off biscuit-sized pieces and roll into balls, squish down a bit, and put on the tray. Bake in a moderate oven (180 C/350 F) for 12 – 15 minutes or so, until golden brown on top. Leave to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes, then transfer on a cooling rack.

The biscuits turned out really well: the seeds give them some structure and crunch. I took them to work for an afternoon snack and ended up sharing them with a colleague, who enjoyed them too. A nice boost of energy to see us through to the end of the day. Also, no added sugar: sweetness provided by the dried fruit.

NOTE: when I first posted this recipe, all the quantities were approximate because I was trying to remember how I had first made the biscuits (which I had done by feel). The next day (which is today) I made another batch and wrote down the quantities: I just adjusted the flour up a bit and the amount of dried fruit down a bit, and reduced the cooking time a bit. Feel free to experiment though.